This course is heavily based in materials. I will provide samples for you to experiment with, but you will be responsible for purchasing materials for individual projects. The tools you need are listed here and the materials library we will be using lives at the Crafting Tech site.
You should get these tools and materials ASAP and bring them to every class.
- paper ing range of weights, colors, textures, etc (e.g. tracing, vellum, cardstock, etc.)
- X-Acto knife
- small tip brushes
- tape (single, double sided, and/or glue dots)
- hot glue
- hot glue gun
- clear nail polish
- wire clippers
- wire snips
- liquid containers (to store inks)
- paper in a range of weights, colors, and textures (e.g. tracing, vellum, cardstock, etc.)
- woodless graphite pencil
- A variety of LEDs of your choosing. Keep aesthetics in mind and default to diffused! I usually get one of the big kits from Evil Mad Scientist, but you can source Sparkfun, Adafruit, SuperBrightLEDs, Ebay, and more for deals. For example:
- 3V CR2032 Lithium Batteries
- Small Neodynmium Magnets (you can get these from AI Friedman, the Container Store (look in the office section), or online)
- Alligator clips
- Copper Tape (1/4″ width)
- Coin cell battery holders (at least 3)
You will need these as well, but not immediately:
- Arduino Uno + jumper cables
- Small Recording Module, sound greeting card, or 1/8 inch audio cable (old headphones, anyone?)
- A basic sewing kit including needles, thread, seam ripper, etc.
Acquire these materials as you need them for projects – or just to experiment!
I am still in the process of updating these. Many, many more distributors and products are available. Check Adafruit, Sparkfun, Less EMF, Evil Mad Scientist, Inventables, and How To Get What You Want for full inventories.
Electroluminescent ink and other EL display materials at Gwent Electronic Materials
Other Inks + Pigments
Conductive Fabric for circuits at EMF, Sparkfun and Silverell
Conductive Thread for sewing machine at Sparkfun
Conductive Thread for hand sewing at Sparkfun
Resistive Thread (light gray) at EMF
Velostat by 3M at EMF
Conductive Tape + Adhesive
3M™ Copper Conductive Tape at Tedpella