In this workshop, we unpacked the word “binary” in a Collect and Clustering post-it exercise, then observed flip dot examples in action. We learned about the nature of magnets and electromagnetism as a mechanism for creating motion, then constructed our own flip dots.
- Finish your 1-bit swatch. (Optional: Place it in a narrative context based on our mapping exercise)
- Post your ideas and any inspiration/precedents for your final project. (SEE EMAIL)
- Single Crochet around a ring
- Crafted Logic and supporting documentation at Stitching Worlds
- KOBAKANT’s Flip Dot Swatch Documentation
- You need an additional power source for activating nitinol – Arduino alone will not get the job done. It cannot output enough current.
- Simplicity is beautiful. Elegance, delight, and complexity can be found without all the trappings and features.
- Binary mapping themes / takeaways:
- Duality stands alone.
- Reality vs the ideal.
- Most binaries are human constructs.
- Systematized mystery is universal.
- Groupings feel close, but far. Spectrum unites them.
- Overall, the process was energizing.
- Water needs to be extra hot for polymorph to change states.
- The number of coils counts.
- Be sure to leave extra wire to solder to.
- Crocheting is always hard at first 🙂