- Stretchy Conductive Fabric: Silver-plated conductive knit fabric. Stretchy in one direction.
- Jersey Conductive Fabric: Super soft conductive knit fabric. Stretchy in one direction.
- Copper Ripstop Fabric: Copper conductive woven fabric. Non-stretchy. Solderable.
- Silver Ripstop Fabric: Silver-plated conductive woven fabric. Non-stretchy. Solderable.
- Velostat: Piezoresistive material – specifically carbon impregnated black polyethylene film. Changes resistance when deformed. Great for pressure/bend sensors. Non-stretchy. ***in locker
- Eeonyx: Piezoresistive woven fabric. Stretchy in one or both directions.Great for pressure/bend/stretch sensors. We think this is magic material, but unfortunately it is hard to get your hands on small quantities in the US. We’ll keep this updated regularly if new distributors arise. ***Each of you will receive a small quantity of this magical fabric
THREAD + YARNS
- High Flex 3981 7X1 Silver 14/000: Very conductive, Solder-able.***you will each receive a bobbin of this
- Europe: Karl Grimm
- Syscom Silver Thread: thin silver fiber twisted together. very conductive. Solder-able. Can go in bobbin of sewing machine (NOT on top). ***in locker
- USA: Syscom Advanced Materials
- Adafruit Stainless Steel Conductive Thread: Not solderable. Thin and Medium can go in bobbin of sewing machine (NOT on top).
- Stainless Steel Medium Conductive Thread (3 ply)
- Stainless Steel Thin Conductive Thread (2 ply)
- Stainless Steel Thick Conductive Thread
- Conductive Yarn: 80% polyester 20% stainless steel blend, has a breaking load of 8094g, and has a surface resistance of <104Ω. ***in locker
- USA: Sparkfun
- Europe: Plug and Wear
- SILVERSPUN YARN: 87% combed cotton, 5% silver, 5% nylon, 3% Spandex. ***in locker
- USA: lessEMF
TAPES + ADHESIVES
- Copper Tape: Super conductive with conductive adhesive (if you choose a supplier other than who we list – i.e. Amazon – and we encourage searching! – be sure the adhesive is conductive!)
- CuPro-Cote: Copper conductive water-based paint that is great for painting circuits. Surface resistivity of < 1 Ohm/sq at 1 mil dry film thickness. Helpful High Low Tech tutorial here. Mix with water or lubricant (yes, lubricant) for silk screening. ***in locker
- USA: lessEMF
- Circuit Scribe: Conductive ink pen (quick drying). Resistance is 0.05-0.2ohms/sq/mil (2-10ohms per cm of writing)
- Silver Conductive Ink: Conductive ink with surface resistivity of < .025 Ω/square/mil. Great for silk screening. Very, very expensive.
- USA: Conductive Compounds
- AgIC: Silver circuit ink that is very conductive. Must use with their ICPaper (cannot use on any substrate). **We have kits in the locker
- USA + Europe: AgIC (based in Japan)
- Bare Conductive: Water-based, water-soluble that is best for creating sensors (as opposed to traces). 55 Ω/Sq @ 50 microns.
- Liquid Graphite: Very resistive ink from Guerra in NYC
- USA: Guerra Inks
- Y-SHIELD: Water-based ink with <10 ohms/sq
- USA: lessEMF
- Thermochromic Ink: Heat reactive ink (non-permanent) ***in locker
- USA: Sparkfun, Matsui
- Inkodye: UV sensitive dye (permanent transformation) ***in locker
- USA: Dick Blick
- Hydrochromic Ink
- Liquid Crystal
- Arduino UNO
- Lilypad + Lilypad Simple
- Adafruit FLORA
- Accelerometer/Compass Sensor
- Flora Color Sensor
- Flora UV Index Sensor
- Flora RGB Smart NeoPixel
- Adafruit GEMMA
- ATtiny 84 (14 pins)
- ATtiny 45/85 (8 pins)
- TIP 120 transistor (for controlling heat circuits)
- Chibitronics Starter Kit
- Vibration motors
- SN74HC595N Shift Register, Good for controlling 7 segments or LED matrix (Arduino Tutorial here)
- CD4051 8 channel Multiplexer, good for multiplexing analog/digital inputs (Arduino Tutorial here)
- Material Name (w/link): Short description.
- poppers + snaps
- If you are very interested in working with textiles, I suggest this snap/grommet press machine from GoldStar Tools. About $80-100, but worth it.
- sewing machine
- knitting needles
- crochet hook
- knitting machine (toy ones work too)
- felting needles
- wool roving
- small loom
- safety pins
- heat bond fusible interfacing
- paper tape
- hot glue gun
- fabric glue